5 Super Foods for Eating Well in 2014
Although many women would prefer to live on salad alone, the truth is that these foods, while good sources of carbohydrate, aren’t really doing much else for you nutritionally. There are a number of super foods that you should consider adding to your diet that can help you live a happier, healthier life. Consider trying out the following super foods:
- - Berries. Berries, including blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, are all rich sources of potassium and Vitamin C, both of which are known for their ability to fight diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. As a general rule, the darker the berry, the more nutrient dense and more beneficial the berry, too.
- - Broccoli. Put the cancer fighting power of broccoli to work for you. Broccoli is not only tasty and a good vegetable to smother in cheese, it can also be eaten chopped or whole in a salad, or dipped in ranch sauce. To preserve broccoli’s vital antioxidant power, steam it. Rich in immunity building ‘good for you’ “stuff” like vitamins A, B, and C.
- - Nuts. Nuts are rich in phytosterols, which have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol. Perhaps the best – almonds. In studies, consumption of almonds reduced cholesterol by an average of 3%.
- - Salmon. Salmon is one of the most delicious fish in the sea, and whether you enjoy it fresh caught, frozen, or even smoked, you will find that it is rich in Omega-3 fats. These fats are “good fats” that have been shown to assist in controlling cholesterol.
- - Tomatoes. If the only tomatoes you have been eating are the kind that are smashed up and made into sauce to put on top your pizza, you don’t know what you’re missing. There are a number of ways to enjoy tomatoes, including on sandwiches and in salads, or just by themselves. Potatoes are rich in lycopene, a plant substance that has been shown to be helpful in promoting bladder health, something all women should think about. They are also a good source of potassium and vitamin C.
There you have it – five super-foods that you need to add to your diet now to live better later!